Today, there are many efficient anchoring options, and boaters need to choose among the many different shapes and sizes, as this is one important feature of owning a boat. Although there are lots of options to choose from, in this article, we’ll be showing you the most widely used anchors for recreational boaters.
Must Read: Best Boat Anchors For Lakes
Here are the tips on how to best secure your boat
- Doubling up on anchors: It wouldn’t be bad if you could secure your boat using two anchors. There are a few reasons why this is suggested. When you’re in the water and you encounter some heavy wind and rough seas (which are a common occurrence), double anchoring is beneficial to help securing your boat. Common methods of double anchoring are:
- Line ashore
- Bohemian moor
- Bow and stern
- Two anchors off-bow
- Be careful of the anchor’s chain or line: Always be careful that your ankle isn’t caught in your anchor. Stay clear of it once you release the anchor, even the ropes sting palms badly. You should make sure to anchor off the boat’s bow and not at the stern.
- Get all the proper equipment: You should have it in mind that you can not just throw an anchor overboard and come to a dead stop or just stay in position. To set an anchor hook properly, there are certain techniques and equipment that you will need to consider. Trying to secure your line directly to your anchor shaft is just not sufficient because you will find yourself dragging anchor. What you need to do is to connect your line and anchor with a four-foot ground tackle chain and an anchor shackle.
- Pay attention to current and wind: You should pay attention to the strength of the wind and the size of the waves because these play a huge role. Anther reason why you can’t just drop in your anchor is because they are designed to lay sideways. Even when you’re in perfectly calm conditions, you would still need to follow this method so as to hold fast. You’d need to grab something below, maybe something sandy or muddy, or some craggy seabed to secure your vessel.
- Set up a tripping anchor for sticky situations: There are times when your anchor will catch so well that you can’t get it back, and this is the reason why we would advise that you set a tripping anchor for times like this.