The Fosgate R165x3 speaker from Rockford has been receiving stellar reviews from consumers. It is sturdily constructed and capable of producing high-quality sound. The speakers are affordably priced for most budgets. They are also relatively easy to install.
If you are considering replacing your vehicle’s old speakers, there are a few reasons why you might want to consider these Rockford speakers.
Fosgate R165x3 Pros and Cons
It’s basically impossible to find a product that does not have a few downsides. This applies to the Fosgate R165x3 speakers. However, their positive features do outweigh their few negatives.
- Priced to fit most budgets
- Sturdy build designed for long-life
- Able to produce crisp high and mid-range frequencies
- Since they are three-way speakers all frequency ranges are crisp and clear
- These are coaxial speakers so all components are included in one package
- Higher frequencies can sound distorted
- The speakers are not designed for audio with heavy, continuous bass
- The speakers have foam casing, instead of rubber which produces a better sound
Even though these speakers might not be able to give you stadium quality sound, they still have plenty of features that make them a good budget friendly option.
The speakers are designed with aesthetics in mind. They are visually appealing. Measuring 8.a- inches high, 7.1-inches in length, and 10.9-inches wide, you shouldn’t have a problem replacing your old speakers with the ones from Rockford. If you choose to have the speakers in a rear window, you won’t be embarrassed by their appearance.
These are three-way speakers, so the woofers, tweeters and midrange drivers are separate components. This helps to improve your audio experience. Sound and vocals are clearer and distortion is minimal.
Sensitivity is an important consideration in speakers, especially if you want to experience optimal sound quality. Rockford Fosgate R165x3 speakers have a sensitivity of 91 dB, with an RMS of 45W. Peak power is 90W, but you want to pay more attention to RMS if sound quality is important to you.
Impedance for these speakers is 4 Ohms, which is standard for most speakers in the 6.5-inch class. This also ensures that the speakers are compatible with most standard factory installed car stereos. You can turn the volume up and the speakers can handle it.
How car speakers are constructed should be an important consideration. You don’t want to find out after a few months that your new speakers are failing. This won’t be a problem with these car speakers.
You’ll immediately notice the solid and durable construction. A steel frame around the speakers protects them from accidental falls and bumpy driving conditions. To improve longevity and for added protection, the speakers are encased in rubber.
The material the speaker components are constructed from is just as important as the casing. The woofers are made with a polypropylene material that is elastic. This allows the woofers to expand with the lower frequencies and improves sound quality.
Tweeters are crucial for the higher frequencies. The ones in the Rockford Fosgate R165x3 series are made from mylar and titanium for crisp sound and long-lasting durability. When you combine the tweeters and woofers, you are in for a realistic audio experience.
What’s Good About Fosgate R165x3 Speakers
The speaker is lightweight and easy to install. All you have to do is take out the old speakers and drop the Fosgate R165x3 ones in. It should only take you a few minutes to connect the speaker wires to the ones from the car stereo.
These speakers are compact, so they easily fit in smaller cars, and powerful enough to fill larger vehicles with sound. This makes it an affordable and versatile speaker.
You do need to remember that these are coaxial speakers, so they are not capable of producing extremely heavy bass. However, you won’t notice if your musical preferences do not contain a lot of the lower frequencies.
Even though extreme bass is lacking, the R165x3 speakers do produce high quality sound. The crossover speakers can handle most frequencies without noticeable distortion. This is a noticeable improvement over previous R165 models.
These three-way speakers will deliver clear, crisp sound, even with the volume turned up. Adding an amplifier will boost sound quality, but it is not necessary to still get an improved audio experience in your vehicle.
If the appearance of the speakers in your car is important, you’ll be pleased with the sleek design of the R165x3. The dome tweeters have a glossy appearance, along with flat-black woofers. You won’t be embarrassed to install these speakers in your car. The basket frame is constructed from stamped steel for protection and to give the speakers a professional appearance.
Price is something most consumers consider when they are looking for new speakers. The Rockford Fosgate R165x3 are not the cheapest priced car speakers, but they are affordably priced. Since all the components are included with the speakers for one low price, it’s not hard to see why they are gaining in popularity with consumers.
A Few Downsides to Consider
If you love lots of volume, these might not be the right speakers for you. When the volume is turned up, all the way, there can be some slight distortion. However, if making sure other drivers hear your music isn’t important these speakers do produce high-quality sound.
Mid-range and high frequencies are where these speakers excel. They are not ideal for heavy bass. This can change with the addition of a sub-woofer, but this will cost extra. Basically, it will depend on the type of music you commonly listen to if these speakers are an improvement over your factory ones.
If you are not an audiophile, these speakers are a great, budget-friendly investment. However, if you closely listen to every sound you might be disappointed. The speakers are affordable for most budgets, but this also means that some sounds might not be as crisp and clear as you would like.
Before Buying the Fosgate R165x3 Speakers
There are a few things you should think about before spending money on new car speakers. Obviously, price isn’t a consideration since these speakers are extremely affordable for most budgets.
- You do want to think about whether you want coaxial or component speakers. There are advantages to both. R165 speakers are coaxial, so everything is included in a single package. The downside is sound quality, component speakers are designed to provide full-spectrum audio. Coaxial speakers are great for mid and high frequencies but are not able to produce “thumping” bass.
- Coaxial speakers can be two or three-way. R165 speakers are three-way so not only do you get low and high frequencies, but also mid-range as well.
- Consider how the speakers are built. Durable rubber material is best for protection and sound. Cloth and foam still provide protection but can impede sound quality. Tweeters and woofers with polypropylene material produce warm tones and more accurate bass. R165 speakers from Rockford are constructed from rubber material.
- Make sure the new speakers are designed to fit in your vehicle. Have the make and model of your vehicle ready when you are shopping for speakers. R165 speakers are designed to fit most cars, even smaller vehicles, so this shouldn’t be a problem if you choose this brand.
- You want the speakers to be able to handle power, especially if there are external amps involved. The R165 speakers have a 4 Ohms impedance which works well with car stereos and most amplifiers. You do not have to worry about too much power going into the speaker and possibly causing them “to blow”.
Rockford Fosgate R165x3 car speakers are considered some of the best for their price range and class. You might not get epic bass from them, but they can improve audio quality. They are considered professional speakers with good quality sound for a budget price. They are definitely an improvement over your factory-installed speakers.
The main downside to these speakers is the lack of bass. You will still hear an improvement, but you will not be able to “shake the neighborhood” with heart-thudding bass. Where these speakers do shine is with the mid and high range frequencies. These sounds will be well-rounded and crystal clear.If you are on a tight budget but still want improved audio in your vehicle, Rockford’s Fosgate R165x3 speakers should be something that you consider.